[Gllug] ulimits

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Sat Sep 1 12:00:09 UTC 2001

On 01 Sep 2001 10:53:22 +0100, Rob wrote:

> All I can suggest is to move the processing activities (whatever jobs
> are running) to a seperate machine which uses a fair share system
> (admittedly this works better with multiple machines)

Yes I could do that but I view it as a "kludge" and not a solution :)

> The software used requires that you launch jobs thru its interface (CLI
> or GUI)it then monitors the load on each process per user and attempts
> to manage the load by suspending jobs that have overrun their allocation
> based on what is currently in the queue.

I have been thinking about implementing something like this myself - it
must be Free Software for me to feel comfortable using it.

> Sorry it's not a full answer,

Hehe, nobody I have spoken to yet has a "full answer" for this...since
it's obviously not such a crazy question after all maybe I'll repost to
lkml at some point over the next week or so.

Hmmm...anyway, jcm uptime will go to 36 hours this weekend (thanks
Pepsi) doing other stuff so maybe I'll leave this for when I'm not so
tired.

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk