[Gllug] was Nightmare now file systems

Simon Trimmer simon at urbanmyth.org
Wed Sep 12 11:51:46 UTC 2001

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, will wrote:
> [...]

Erm,

What? it basically makes virtual disks from physical disks and on the way it
can do nice things like software raid.

New? not really, they have existed on traditional unix for years, Linux
gained LVM a while back and made it into the kernel sometime last year. For
those interested, the model used in the Linux LVM is based on the v1 of vxvm.

Benefits? I'm going to lunch and am in a hurry, so I'll say "lots" and fill
in the details later :) I guess Linux LVM is the same, but I use the
prototype vxvm, the major win on that is my volumes don't care what disk they
are generated from (fiber channel has a nasty habit of changing the disk
detection ordering, sd(n) isn't necessarily the same between boots)

-Simon
Simon Trimmer <simon at urbanmyth.org>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk