[Gllug] Nightmare

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Wed Sep 12 11:33:36 UTC 2001

Simon Trimmer wrote:

>>Also somebody on SANs (Hi Simon!)
>>

>(uh oh)
>
>SANs revolve around more of block storage concepts, but there is still plenty
>of mileage there (mostly linux bashing I'm afraid). I'd invite Alasdair to
>say something about GFS at this point,

By the way, on the subject of SANs,
I came across this article in SysAdmin mag  (I'm sad enough to buy it on
the way into work)

   http://www.sysadminmag.com/articles/2001/0109/0109a/0109a.htm

The Winchester Flashdisk is not a SAN, but  might be a low-cost alternative.
It is a mutli-port RAID box, so that four servers can all have their
disks in the Flashdisk array,
and the storage partitioned up between them.
The article makes it sound very sweet.
Has anyone tried using one of these in anger?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk