[Gllug] automagic DISPLAYs

Simon Trimmer simon at urbanmyth.org
Tue Sep 18 15:41:20 UTC 2001

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Alex Hudson wrote:
> Yep, but you only need to s/\/dev\///; the output of tty.

That's a useful idea

> > on login you get "sh: /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: No such file or directory"
> > and the tunnel doesn't work
>
> Authentication problem. You could install xauth, or you could xhost + on the
> server machine if it's not too strict. I don't think the tunnel does anything
> particularly magic.

The server (the initiator) is xhost +'d whilst testing, but that isn't going
to help;  ssh isn't just doing port forwarding, otherwise it wouldn't need to
mess about with the X authentication.

> I think that's going to be your main problem then - ssh tunnelling is
> probably the answer,

round back to the original restriction :)

-Simon
Simon Trimmer <simon at urbanmyth.org>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk