[Gllug] I found this link

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Mon Sep 24 11:27:52 UTC 2001

> > I've had one friend who's site
> > converted from sendmail to Exim, who complains that Exim has silently
> > lost mail, which is the ultimate sin for an MTA. I've never had any
> > trouble with sendmail, when configured right.
>
> I'm not personally an exim fan either; although I've never had _huge_
> trouble with it. If you don't configure it properly, it won't tell you when
> it freezes mail in the mail queue, for example. Thawing frozen mail is also
> a big pain in the ass and I've also had no idea how to get it to recognise
> multiple smart-host configurations (for sending mail from my laptop, which
> obviously connects to the internet on different networks depending where it
> is).

> Cheers,
>
> Alex.

I have moved all of my servers bar one to exim.  I used to hate it as it
would istantly start queueing and freezing messages and I had no idea why.  I
subsequently found out that it was a problem with sendmail refusing mail from
<>.  Such as all read receipts and error messages.

I find eximon exceedingly useful (a graphical tool for monitoring and working
the mail queue).  I only discovered relatively recently that pressing shift
and clicking on the items queued in eximon you can manipulate files in queue.

There are useful options such as auto_thaw for frozen messages.

I understand that zoom use exim as someone previously mentioned.  I found it
interesting the way that they use it.  They have a couple of chronic queue
servers.  If a message is not instantly delivered it is moved to the chronic
queue server to avoid blocking up the main  smtp servers.

In addition I set up exim using smtp over SSL.  It only took a couple of
hours to get it working properly, yes I had issues with the config ;-)

The book on exim by O'Reilly - as ever - is great.

Cheers
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk