[Gllug] PSU fans, MTAs etc.

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Mon Sep 24 12:29:51 UTC 2001

Just back after 2 weeks off so hopefully I didn't miss anything vital.

re: my PSU fan failure problem: I took the PSU apart (don't try this at
home kids), removed the fan, dismantled the fan. A few drops of bicycle
chain oil in the "spindle" and it spun freely. I put it all back
together and it now works fine.

I've been trying out mutt as I've heard it's the geeks' MUA of choice.
I've been grappling with MUAs, MTAs, LDAs, POP3 etc and I've managed to
get it kind of working using fetchmail and postfix (comes with Mandrake
8.0).

What MTA would people recommend? I have pop3 accounts so is mutt,
fetchmail and some sendmail variant all I need? It's only for home
dial-up use so performance isn't really an issue, but I'd prefer a GPL
one.
Is fetchmail the standard for fetching pop3 email or are there other
programs that do the same job?
I've heard the sendmail has fallen from favour but it still sets the
"standard" for other MTAs to follow?
Should I close my SMTP port to all but my internal network?

In my home directory I have various directories like mbox, nsmail, Mail,
etc. I'm not sure what has created them but it seems that mutt uses
/var/spool/paul/mbox to store emails when they come in and moves them to
~/mbox when I've read them.
If I want to separate out emails into different mailboxes or
sub-mailboxes is this possible? Do I get ~/mbox.1, ~/mbox.2 or
something? Or is the email directory structure internal to the mbox
file?

I was using Evolution but since changing my login ID to get NFS working
it won't recognise my configuration/mailbox files.

--
Paul Brazier
Cosmos UK

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk