[Gllug] [OT]

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Fri Sep 14 15:00:44 UTC 2001

You do not need a license to access all parts of the spectrum. Most areas
you do but some you definitely do not. It does have to be an allocated area
which is completely different from a licensed area. There are also
restrictions on the power you can use over all frequencies but this is
understandable since I would not want someone building a one megawatt Omni
directional transmitter next door transmitting at 10Ghz, although I do not
think he would be using it long. The entire frequency spectrum is regulated
and rules have been layed down for everything that man/woman can reach and
some bits that we cannot but not all of it requires a licence for use.

> > If you mean because people will be able to effectively
> browse the net
> > anonymously with little or no way of tracing them I am not so sure.
>
> No, I don't mean either of these. I mean providing internet
> access to the public via 802.11 is illegal.

I am unaware of any laws that control the way that you are allowed to access
the net. The laws controlling this are the laws that determine how we use
our phone or satellite usage. I would be interested to know if there are
plans to limit the ways in which the internet can be accessed.

> Your further posting about peering agreements means that
> consume obviously haven't realised this?

I think that they are aware but unsure as to the way forward. Writing a
peering agreement may stop them from being hammered from one corner but not
the other.

Harry

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. 020 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk