[Gllug] [OT]

home at alexhudson.com home at alexhudson.com
Fri Sep 14 15:51:16 UTC 2001

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 04:00:44PM +0100, Jackson, Harry wrote:
> > No, I don't mean either of these. I mean providing internet
> > access to the public via 802.11 is illegal.
>
> I am unaware of any laws that control the way that you are allowed to access
> the net.

It's called Pirate Broadcasting. You're not allowed to do it, in any way.
Internet access is not a specific target, but is specifically mentioned.
It's illegal on the unlicensed bands (2.4G, 5.8G, poss. 10G in the future?).
If you set it up, and get caught, you will be charged.

> The laws controlling this are the laws that determine how we use
> our phone or satellite usage.

No, they're not. The laws controlling this medium are the radio and
telecommunications acts. Broadcasting (which is what you propose) is illegal
on the bands you intend to use. Full stop.

> I think that they are aware but unsure as to the way forward. Writing a
> peering agreement may stop them from being hammered from one corner but
> not the other.

I'm not sure a peering agreement solves the problem. I believe you also need
a Telco licence to provide service.

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk