[Gllug] [OT]

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Fri Sep 14 16:43:48 UTC 2001

I was unaware that that was the case. I understood that if you are in an
allocated band and adhering to the rules on power etc that you where OK. I
have not seen anything that says that transmission of internet traffic is
illegal. I have seen that Terrestrial Video and specific types of data are
illegal but not the internet.

> No, they're not. The laws controlling this medium are the radio and
> telecommunications acts. Broadcasting (which is what you
> propose) is illegal on the bands you intend to use. Full stop.

Which are the laws that govern the use of the phone or satellite which is
what I said. What I was saying was that I have not seen a law that
specifically fingers internet access and how its done. You might not be able
to transmit at 9.5G which is licensed but I have not seen anything to say
that it is illegal to transmit Internet traffic over 802. A broadcast is
anything and certain types of data can and cannot be broadcast at certain
frequencies, this is part of the rules for the whole spectrum but I have not
seen anything about internet broadcasting at the frequencies that they are
going to use. If it is illegal then yes they are well and truly screwed and
I feel a pity on all the ones that invested in the gear.

I think that we are getting our wires crossed. There are no laws apparent to
me detailing the methods in which it is legal to connect to the internet I
am being specific here. The laws that we adhere to are the
telecommunications act which detail how a phone should be used or how a
satellite is used and in consequence we use these to connect to the internet
so adhering to these laws gets us our connection.

If I build a radio in my backyard that I use to transmit data to a receiver
in my living room and via a modem to the internet providing I am in the
unlicensed (Allocated for free use within reason) area and adhering to the
power rules I have got an internet connection with no laws broken. If I set
up a repeater that gives my mate the same connection then no rules are
broken until he starts hacking but up until that point we are not breaking
any laws. Unless of course there is a specific law that states that the type
of traffic we where using (ciphered, data, voice, video, RATT,) is illegal
then yes it is but I do not think this is the case.

Ciphered data is a good one considering that there is very few frequencies
that you can do this in and that will cause no end of grief for some people.

Harry

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. 020 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk