[Gllug] [OT]

home at alexhudson.com home at alexhudson.com
Fri Sep 14 17:16:22 UTC 2001

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 05:43:48PM +0100, Jackson, Harry wrote:
> I was unaware that that was the case. I understood that if you are in an
> allocated band and adhering to the rules on power etc that you where OK.

Yes, only on a hardware level though. Content is different. You're setting
up as an ISP (royal 'you' ;), which isn't legal on that band.

> I have not seen anything that says that transmission of internet traffic
> is illegal. I have seen that Terrestrial Video and specific types of data
> are illegal but not the internet.

There is a white paper somewhere (I'll look it up for you, if you like)
which in one section clarifies specific instances in current law. RLAN
public local loop is impossible in the UK (it says) and is illegal.

> Which are the laws that govern the use of the phone or satellite which is
> what I said.

No, it's greater than that. Phones and satellites are covered - but so is
radio (audio), TV, all communications on the radio frequencies.

> What I was saying was that I have not seen a law that specifically fingers
> internet access and how its done.

You're not allowed to make public a service on that band. It says so clearly
- I'll try and dig out a reference for you.

> You might not be able to transmit at 9.5G which is licensed but I have not
> seen anything to say that it is illegal to transmit Internet traffic over
> 802.

It's not illegal to broadcast internet over 802.11 - it's illegal to make
available internet service over 802.11. One is public, one is private. And
an agreement between individuals doesn't class as private :(

> If I build a radio in my backyard that I use to transmit data to a receiver
> in my living room and via a modem to the internet providing I am in the
> unlicensed (Allocated for free use within reason) area and adhering to the
> power rules I have got an internet connection with no laws broken.

Agreed; legal.

> If I set up a repeater that gives my mate the same connection then no
> rules are broken

Disagreed. You're providing services: you've become an ISP, you don't have a
licence, hence you're illegal. You could get a telco licence, but they don't
allocate them in private use bands (a company could set up camp in there if
they did). So you need a licenced band. Which then means you need a
broadcasting licence. World of expense and trouble :(

> Unless of course there is a specific law that states that the type of
> traffic we where using (ciphered, data, voice, video, RATT,) is illegal
> then yes it is but I do not think this is the case.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear: I wasn't objecting to the type of traffic. The
law is about public services - so that would also include setting up a local
phone operator over those frequencies, for example. But running a hands-free
phone for your own use wouldn't be illegal.

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk