[Gllug] uklinux / co-located servers

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Tue Sep 4 11:16:53 UTC 2001

On 04 Sep 2001 11:55:04 +0100, Paul Brazier wrote:
> On a kind of related note, I noticed people mentioned installing remote
> IRC or whatever servers using some company that sells rackspace and
> internet connection (co-location?). Is this not quite expensive? Does a
> group of people get together and share the rental costs or something?

Yes, when students are involved. :-)

> What sort of prices/companies are out there?

mailbox.net.uk will let you put a box on their network for £50/mo or so,
and that's probably one of the cheapest around. There's a company called
Black Cat Networks ( www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk ) that charge the same,
and are very friendly. Other companies will put your box in Telehouse
London, and charge hundreds of pounds a month. You should note that
you're metered on bandwidth by these deals, too.

> I've had a look at some but they all seem quite pricey. It does seem
> like a better alternative to using an ISP for webspace apart from this
> though. I suppose you do have all your admin to do but I guess it's
> all part of the learning curve.

Indeed, exactly. If you have a machine on an ADSL line with a static IP,
you can always have a trial run by using that.

Hope this helps,

~C.

--
Chris Ball || chris at void.printf.net || http://printf.net/