[Gllug] IDE cables

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Thu Sep 13 20:33:14 UTC 2001

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 03:03:51PM -0400, SteveC wrote:
> where can you get good IDE cables?

IMO, they either work or don't - there's not much sense of good or bad
beyond that. You can get crappy connectors sometimes, which come apart, but
they're just cables - you can't really go wrong. Anywhere (TCR fairs, etc)
ought to be able to do them.

> I tried a couple of cables (all with thicker wires) for it and I get the
> smae problem - therefore I think its just I have bad cables... hence:

Hmm. If I tried a number of different cables, and saw the same problem, my
conclusion would be that the cables are not at fault.

Have you tried running a second HD off the second IDE interface? Sounds to
me more like the second i/f is buggered. Try also running the HDs off the
thicker (40core, I presume) cables, with the DVD on the thin (80core?) on
the second interface, and see what that does.

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk