[Gllug] IDE cables

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Thu Sep 13 19:29:11 UTC 2001

In message <Pine.LNX.4.10.10109131500010.5126-100000 at julia.fractalus.com>
          SteveC <steve at fractalus.com> wrote:

> where can you get good IDE cables?

Aren't Scan or Aria doing those round yellow UDMA cables? Anyone got
any experience of them?

> I have a cable with my machine, the wires are really thin and normally I
> use it for my two HD's.

Thin wires and twice as many means it's a real UDMA33/66/100 cable.
The 40-wire sort is *not* for the fast UDMA.

> I put a DVD on the esecond ide interface and I
> kept getting DriveReady SeekComplete error stuff in my log and the thing
> reset DMA off after errors. Then its really slow. If I put it on the slave
> drive on the first IDE interface its fine and runs at UDMA2-4 on the
> thiner cable.

It may be that the DVD drive was designed by idi^H^H^Hpeople who
thought you'd only ever use it with UDMA. In which case they
wouldn't have tested the standard IDE DMA stuff (which is what gets
reset off after errors). On the thin cable it would be happy because
it gets to use the UDMA it wants.

> I tried a couple of cables (all with thicker wires) for it and I get the
> smae problem - therefore I think its just I have bad cables... hence:
>
> where can I get some good ones?

Farnell, 355-1428, 355-1430 (page 6:737)? Or the aforementioned
yellow round ones...

cheers,Rich.

--
Rich Walker: rw at shadow.org.uk (Shadow Robot Project)