[Gllug] I have forgotten my root password, I am a muppet.

Kieran Barry kieran at esperi.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 5 17:51:07 UTC 2001

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Xander D Harkness wrote:

> on a redhat box you would just 'type linux 1' at lilo and boot to single
> user mode.
>
> this gives a root prompt; type passwd and job done.

My pet technique is the following (allowing for typos, of course....)
At the lilo prompt: linux init=/bin/sh
mount -o remount, rw /
vi /etc/passwd to cancel root's password field.

Should work for most of the world. I believe this brings the system up
with only a shell running, which should avoid nasty things like
password...

Regards

Kieran

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk