[Gllug] HP Compaq?

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Sep 6 09:49:11 UTC 2001

On Wednesday, 5 Sep 2001, Ian Northeast wrote:
>David Damerell wrote:
>>No, it isn't; for God's sake don't believe everything you read. That's
>>like saying NT is a UNIX because it has a POSIX compatibility
>>subsystem.
>It *is* a UNIX - simply because IBM have the necessary license for the
>name and they market it as such. It's nothing like Unix underneath, but
>then neither is AIX.
>By the same token, Linux (and *BSD for that matter) is not a UNIX, even
>though it is much more like a "traditional" Unix than zOS is.

Sure. And I bet you don't call your hoover a hoover because it's not
made by Hoover, either (actually, the one we have ATM is a VAX).

People these days use 'Unix' to mean a Unix-like OS. Linux is a Unix;
BSD is a Unix; Solaris and AIX and HP/UX and IRIX are Unix (although
AIX is, yes, rather strange); MVS is not, no matter what name it's
called this week.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk