[Gllug] I found this link

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Sun Sep 23 13:40:40 UTC 2001

On Sunday 23 September 2001 14:19, you wrote:
> >         O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA
> Yeah - the guys at RedHat have decided that most users don't need a
> sendmail daemon listening, and the default configuration is soemthing
> odd.

Are you saying most people _will_ want a sendmail listening on other than
loopback? I would say that, as the default, is the most common
configuration...

> Thay have a shorter history, period. Sendmail hasn't had a remote root
> exploit for a *long* time now (pre 8.8.8), and sendmail 8.12.0 no longer
> requires itself to be run as root.

My problem with sendmail is that it sucks, basically. Perhaps in the past
when mail was UUCP and all sorts of other crazy nonsense it was sensible, but
it's a hideous monster that should have died a long time ago. Merely looking
at a common qmail config (for example) shows you how awful sendmail is. The
excuse that configurability==power is old hat, and sendmail is a prime
example of that. Dancing-bear-ware at it's finest.

> I've had one friend who's site
> converted from sendmail to Exim, who complains that Exim has silently
> lost mail, which is the ultimate sin for an MTA. I've never had any
> trouble with sendmail, when configured right.

I'm not personally an exim fan either; although I've never had _huge_ trouble
with it. If you don't configure it properly, it won't tell you when it
freezes mail in the mail queue, for example. Thawing frozen mail is also a
big pain in the ass and I've also had no idea how to get it to recognise
multiple smart-host configurations (for sending mail from my laptop, which
obviously connects to the internet on different networks depending where it
is).

The only thing I don't like about qmail is the license. I'm currently
experimenting with the courier suite, mainly to replace the ageing system we
have at work. I want imap, basically, but I don't want to run bits & pieces,
so it's going to be full courier rather than [qmail|exim|sendmail] +
[qpopper|cucipop|pop3d] + [courier-imapd|wu-imap|cyrus] etc. For boring
crappy pop3, though, I prefer qmail over anything else currently. It's very
easy to setup and setup correctly - it's just a pain in the ass that ESR's
crappo 'fetchmail' doesn't always deliver mail correctly and qmail rejects it
:(

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk