[Gllug] I found this link

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 23 13:19:16 UTC 2001

John Edwards wrote:

> I'm no sendmail expert but on newer RedHat packages I've noticed this
> option in /etc/sendmail.cf
>         O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA
>
> Modifing that seems to change which port and interface sendmail will
> listen to.

Yeah - the guys at RedHat have decided that most users don't need a
sendmail daemon listening, and the default configuration is soemthing
odd. If you're using sendmail on a RedHat box, the best this to do is
dithc their configuration, and recreate it yourself, or, better still,
remove it ind reinstall from the source tarball.

The DaemonPortOptions stuff now sets up an MTA on port 25, and an MSA
(message submission agent) on port 587, the idea being that you can
permit local users to relay mail via the MSA, and enforce different
authentication options more easily.

> May I take the opportunity to recomend a saner mail server than sendmail ?
> Qmail, exim and postfix are all easier to setup and maintain, and have a
> shorter history of security and bug fixes.

Thay have a shorter history, period. Sendmail hasn't had a remote root
exploit for a *long* time now (pre 8.8.8), and sendmail 8.12.0 no longer
requires itself to be run as root. I've had one friend who's site
converted from sendmail to Exim, who complains that Exim has silently
lost mail, which is the ultimate sin for an MTA. I've never had any
trouble with sendmail, when configured right.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk