[Gllug] Qualifications or Experience II was Re: Certification

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.co.uk
Fri Sep 14 16:09:39 UTC 2001

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Jackson, Harry wrote:

> It was a legitimate question at the time and did lead to some very
> interesting points. Although my favourite thread has got to be Quals or
> Experience which was a very interesting read considering I do not have a
> degree.

Hmmm. As the originator of that thread I've been meaning to update
it for a month or so. Now that you've mentioned it I guess this is the
perfect time.

In the original thread I was asking wether someone (e.g. me) with a
year's experience messing around with linux had any chance of landing
a job as a junior sysadmin. Many of you encourged me to send out my
CV. Also many disparaging remarks were made about human resources
types. The general concensus seemed to be that if I could make
it to an interview with actual technical people I'd have a chance.

This advice all seems prescient now. I was interviewed by
actual IT people and am now happily climbing up the learning
curve as a junior sysadmin.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice and encouragement.

Huw

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk