[Gllug] ulimits

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Sat Sep 1 23:13:18 UTC 2001

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 12:55:34PM +0100, Jon Masters wrote:
> > The complexity of the problem is probably the reason it hasn't
> > been implemented.
>
> That's what I figured - still it would be real nice if someone would
> implement it at some point.

It won't get implemented. Not 'complexity' as in 'too hard for hackers to be
bothered', but 'complexity' as in 'would bloat the schedula so much that
task switching would be so expensive it would require a mortgage'.

You would actually lose more cpu time than your users were using in the
first place under most circumstances (assuming you already nice them), so
there's no point. It's an RT-type feature: people research it, write about
it, parent it, and it goes in big expensive embedded units in power stations
and hospitals.

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk