[Gllug] BT DSL and Linux

Nick Hill t0 at nickhill.co.uk
Sun Sep 16 05:15:33 UTC 2001

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001 19:57:18 +0100
Axel Segebrecht <alexander at smatrix.de> wrote:

> On Saturday 15 September 2001 19:43, you wrote:
>
> > Did you have some problems, then? I've installed the manta ray on Debian
> > and FreeBSD. Both took less than ten minutes and work fine.
>
> yeah, some - and the compiling took ages... took us about 2hrs to sort it all
> out (if i remember correctly). what kernel do you run? i'm running 2.4.9
> (debian as well).

I use the open source version of the driver from benoit pappilaut. I find it more stable. It can be downloaded as a compiled RPM from Mandrake. I have set it up to auto-start the modem under Hotplug.

I had some of the drivers configured as part of the kernel rather than a module, which was a mistake. If you follow the instructions carefully on this point, all should work well. No patches to the kernel are required. No kernel compilation should be required. I run it on 2.4.9.

I also think the benoit driver gives more speed..

Regards

Nick.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk