[Gllug] CD Writers under linux

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 01:08:06 UTC 2001

ChrisJS at aol.com wrote:

> Hi all,
> Apologies if this has been covered before, I'm so dopey that I wouldn't
> remember if I had asked the same question myself a month ago...
> Anyway, my query is this : Does anybody use an external CD-RW drive under
> linux ?

Yes.

> I'm in the market for one but it must be external so obviously I'm
> wondering whether linux's USB capabilities are up to it.

Hmmm - no idea. Mine's SCSI (plextor). I'd recommend them. IIRR CDRW
drives all use SCSI support. The IDE ones use the kernel's IDE-SCSI
layer. I've used the kernel USB mass storage with success, but you
really need to do some digging before you buy.

> I'm not by any means
> a linux expert so I'm also interested to know how difficult it is to set up.
> Windows software/support is essential.

I think mine had windows support. I've lost the driver CD somewhere, and
never opened it anyway. Most of these things require you to agree to
license agreements to get the CD out of the sleeve, and I don't like
licensing my coasters.... :-)

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk