RedHat 7.2 Beta (was: [Gllug] Hang on Boot)

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 13:16:04 UTC 2001

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 08:45:13PM +0100, Walid wrote:
>  --- Ian Northeast <ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk> wrote: > Ade McGonigle
> wrote:
> > >
> > > I have Redhat 7.2 running on my thinkpad X20
>
> Is there redhat 7.2! I thought it was just a Rumour ?

Hi
To clear up any confusion here's the offical response from RedHat:
	http://www.redhat.com/apps/download/beta/rhl.html

It has come to our attention that rumors are floating regarding the
appearance of a Red Hat Linux beta release, named ROSWELL. We would
like to reassure you that there is nothing of the sort.

No other object has been misidentified as a Red Hat Linux beta release
more often than Rawhide. Rawhide was updated just recently. Reporters
probably thought they saw something on an FTP site other than Rawhide,
but we assure you, it was Rawhide.

Reports cite that this supposed ROSWELL beta included 4 CDs of software,
with such things as a 2.4.6 Linux kernel, XFree86 4.1.0, KDE 2.2pre,
GNOME 1.4, and journaling file system support, and included support for
both x86 and ia64.

Were any such Red Hat Linux beta release to exist, it would not be
recommended for use on mission-critical hardware, and any casualties
due to data loss, mutation, swamp gas, radiation, or strange glowing
lights with such a release would be scoffed at. Any problems or bugs
with such a release would most likely be the effect of passing weather
balloons.

These problems would be reported at:
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/

However, there is no evidence to suggest the actual presence of a ROSWELL
beta release. Those who claim otherwise would best not flaunt their
naivete by telling anyone that they saw anything other than Rawhide.

Nearest mirror is:
    ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/roswell/

--
|    John Edwards, Email: John.Edwards at cornerstonelinux.co.uk    |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk