[Gllug] NFS mounts and shared directories

Dylan dylan at shinyboots.org.uk
Sun Sep 9 13:16:46 UTC 2001

Hi Guys,

three queries:

A) I've got a DVD drive on a server which I have set up over NFS to manually
mount (fstab entry):

host:/dvd	/dvd	nfs	ro,user,suid,dev,exec,noauto,async 0 0

then a desktop link to mount from client machine. Is there a way of
auto-unmounting the drive when the user logs out?

B) Two of the users on the systen share a directory - each has his own
/home/userx directory, and there is a ...../userxandy directory. I have set
up a group (xandy) with userx and usery as members and set the shared
directory permissions for that group (it's owned by one of the users, but
that's ok because the group allows the other use access.) The problem is that
files created by userx have rw(x)r-(x)--- permissions so usery cannot write
the file. I know I can set the user's default creation permissions to
rwxrwx---, but that would make all files in their home directory writable by
the general users group. Is there either i) a way to cause permissions on
created files to be different in the home and shared directory or ii) set up
a script (or somesuch) which will recurse the shared directory structure and
set appropriate permissions?

C) The issue above may be eased if mounting the shared directory (which is on
an nfs export) is on a by user basis - therefore, how would I set up a script
to mount the export at logon rather than boot up, and (as in (A)) unmount at
logoff?

Cheers
Dylan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk