[Gllug] NFS NIS

Ian Norton bredroll at atari.org
Fri Sep 28 11:56:48 UTC 2001

On Fri, 2001-09-28 at 11:06, Lee Blackwell wrote:
> Is this NIS or NIS+?? #

NIS :-)

> NIS can be setup securely, although it's not exactly
> the most simple thing in the world, and in addition, NIS/NIS+ is generally
> used (AFAIK) for a 'full' authentication system, ie you auth against the
> NIS domain rather than anything else.

not sure what you mean here? do you mean using it for host
identification aswell? i do not use this, i prefer DNS, (makes my spare
windows box happier)

each of my boxes has edited /etc/nsswitch.conf for primarily NIS, there
is nothing to stop someone on thier own laptop not using MY settings, i
was wondering if anyone knows how to restricy which hosts can bind to
nis,

> Do you really want to use NIS & NFS?  Why not just share files using
> something a tad more traditional, maybe FTP or SSH/scp?  I know it's more
> of a pain to move data around, but then it'll be more secure, no?

i do use ssh and sftp/scp.  althogh the nis/home server is an old P133
with 32mb ram, it also is my development webserver for work, i would
rather just be able to save something from gimp into the exported
directory than save it on one box, wait ages for the poor p133 to
authenticate, then put the file,

mainly i was wondering if there was some sort of secure implementation
of NFS?

the serving box isnt too speedy, so i would sacrifice some security for
a useable speed if people think something like this will load my box
heavily.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk