[Gllug] New Microsoft Licencing scheme

Kim Hawtin kim at aldigital.co.uk
Tue Sep 18 11:11:26 UTC 2001

I remember reading through a M$ licence some time ago looking
for changes between win 3.x and 95. there was an introduction
of the line saying something like
"microsoft reserves the right to extinguish any licence at any time"...

will M$ extinguish all existing licences, and force users to upgrade
(with or without a fee) to the new scheme? (and is this legal?)

> I thought that this would interest many as again M$ exerts more pressure
> to move from their products.
>
> [and no I am not the valued customer ;-)]
>
> Cheers
> Xander
>
> Dear Valued Customer,
>
> We are writing to advise you of some of the changes Microsoft are making
> to their Open License Scheme.
>
>  From 1st October 2001 Microsoft will be removing the entire range of
> upgrade paths available for each product. Currently you can purchase
> Version upgrades, Competitive upgrades and Product upgrades. These
> upgrades obviously create many extra part numbers, as there is generally
> more than one upgrade per product.
>
> To replace these upgrade paths, Microsoft have introduced a 'Two Year
> Software Protection Programme' named 'Software Assurance' which goes
> live October 1st 2001. 'Software Assurance' is purchased either with a
> new license or as a renewal, and gives you the right to upgrade to any
> version releases of each product during the term of the agreement at no
> additional cost to you.
>
> The 'Road Map' for the Migration to 'Software Assurance' is as follows:-
>
> 1. Transition Period - Get 'Current' - Available only until 30th
> September 2001
>
> Within this period customers will need to get all previous (non-current)
> versions of their licenses upgraded to the latest versions. This can be
> done most cost effectively by utilising "Upgrade Advantage" part numbers
> wherever possible, these will automatically upgrade the product AND
> transition the license into the Software Assurance scheme on October 1st
> 2001.
>
> 2. Launch Grace Period - Available from 1st October 2001 to 29th
> February 2002
>
> If you are 'current', but do not have Upgrade Advantage, then you can
> purchase Software Assurance during this period. Any new licenses
> purchased during this time should be purchased with Software Assurance.
>
> 3. Steady State - Available from 1st March 2002 onwards
>
> If you are not enrolled in the Software Assurance Scheme for your
> 'current' Microsoft Products, then as of 1st March 2002, you will not be
> able to upgrade your Software to a later version. If a later version of
> software is required then you will have to purchase a complete new
> license with, or without Software Assurance.
>
> TRANSITION PERIOD ENDS 30TH SEPTEMBER 2001!
>
> Clearly the changes to Microsoft's Open and Select Licensing Schemes
> impact each and every MS Licensee. Please call our sales team today on
> 0800 0287584 for further information or should you require assistance on
> upgrading your current licenses.
>
> Kind Regards,
>

> --

                    \\|||//
                   /  / ^  \
                   (  @ @  )
   *-------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------------*
   | Kim Hawtin          Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755  |
   | A.L. Digital Ltd.   Fax: +44 (20) 8742 5995  |
   | The Stores                                   |
   | 2 Bath Road       http://www.thebunker.net   |
   | London W4 1LT     http://www.aldigital.co.uk |
   | UNITED KINGDOM|   mailto:kim at aldigital.co.uk |
                 .oooO   (   |