[Gllug] New Microsoft Licencing scheme

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Sep 18 10:03:04 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 18 September 2001 10:46, you wrote:
> I thought that this would interest many as again M$ exerts more pressure
> to move from their products.

They've been advertising this for ages, unless there's some change in the
text I missed. The latest trade press are saying that MS are listening to
users: even though this change has been publicised for months now, people are
only now beginning to squeak. I personally think MS will put the date back
again - one of the main problems is that this change is taking place in the
middle of a financial year, so all the people who stuck their head in the
sand months ago have now realised the mistake they've made.

It'll also be interesting to see how this stands up in a potential recession.
With capital expenditure down the pan (as it appears to be right now - is
anyone here spending significantly?) upgrades, etc., will be next - and I
don't see people buying into continuous contracts (such as Assurance) any
time soon.

Where I work the desktop standard is 98SE + Office 97 Pro. I'm not going to
change that any time soon: 98 works well on our hardware, and there's little
(if any) reason to upgrade Office - perhaps the only people for whom this
could be useful are our developers and finance dept., both of whom could
usefully use a better Access. Having invested in the licences, and having
seen the upgrade prices on Office (basically, after February, it'll be the
full whack for each user, although discounts for bulk will still apply, but
there won't be an upgrade discount) this system (which continues to serve us
well) is going to last a good while yet.

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk