[Gllug] PSU fans

jackson harry postituk at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 09:26:51 UTC 2001

--- Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> wrote:

> I don't know whether this is just me, but there is
> something about tinkering with power supplies that
> just doesn't sit right.. oh yes, that's it, it's
> because they can kill you :)

The danger from the power supply is not the residing
voltage in the capacitors but the chance that you may
damage it and short to the chassis, if no earth was
apparent and sitting on highly resistive carpet it
would create a great big 240v live metal thing that
the children should avoid. The resident voltage in a
tv is because of the CRT and the fact that some of the
capacitors are charged to 27000 volts. I have seen
someone get a belt from an HT lead connected to  CRT,
it did not kill him but he did not pick his nose with
that finger for a while, he cleared 8 feet in a bout
.25secs.

> Seriously, make sure you turn off that power supply
> at least a day before you're going to take a
> soldering iron to it in anger. They're much like
> TVs.. resident charge. Nasty voltages :(

Anything with anything capacitive will have a resident
charge I am unsure as to how much a 300W one would
have but I do not think that it will be overly much.

On a serious note if you are unsure at all do not
touch the power supply its the one that will kill you
and it is also the one that will kill every component
in your PC you decide which one is more important.

HARRY

http://im.yahoo.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk