[Gllug] Linux video editing program withdrawn

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 13:26:42 UTC 2001

On Wed 26 Sep, Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> Paul Brazier wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone seen this:
> >
> > http://heroinewarrior.com/bcast2000.php3
> >
> > Broadcast2000 is a video editing tool for Linux and on the site they
> > basically say it has had to be "removed from public access due to
> > excessive liability." It still seems to be on some distros but I thought
> > it was GPL and this explicitly states the software comes without any
> > guarantees? They seem to think the Napster/Skylarov/MPAA/RIAA things may
> > have been a precendent for them to get legal hassles.
> > It all seems a bit weird.
>
> The DMCA strikes again. The fact it's under GPL means that it's still
> perfectly legal for anyone in possession of a copy to distribute it, so
> you can find it out there. If anyone wants a copy, I've got one that I
> haven't got around to putting on a website yet. Let me know...

   I don't see any reason why there should be any problem; low-cost video
editing kits have been available for several years, there is no shortage of
firewire video editing kits for M$ or Mac, there are many more people
wanting to make their own movies than there were trying to make and edit
their own sound recordings, and you don't need an editing kit to make
unauthorised copies. Let's hope that either they change their mind or
someone else carries on, and yes please, I would like a copy. Which distros
carried it?

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk