[Gllug] Dazed and confused

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Tue Sep 11 09:27:06 UTC 2001

I may be teaching you to suck eggs but the message you are getting says to
me that you are running a 10/100Mbs network.
Is this true

If so autonegotiation is your NIC trying to find out if it can run at 100Mbs
failing that it should drop to ten failing that it will just drop to bugger
all. There are lots of reasons for this the main one is grade of cable and
does the card on the other machine support 10/100.

Are you using a hub
Are the cables 100Mbits compliant
If no hub are you using a crossover cable.(I was asked why this was needed
the other day by the NT guy here)

The message "using 10Mbs" means that it is going to be using this speed. The
problem that you are getting being unable to ping the other machine could be
a seperate issue from the one above but then again I could be wrong.

OH and here is something I found which I you may find useful

Message: 5657251
FROM: Alexander ClouterDATE: 04/30/2001 11:00:25SUBJECT: RE:  Autoneg issues
On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Chris Brackett wrote:

> eth0: Intel: port 0x300, irq 3, hwaddr 00:A0:C9:37:0B:FB
> eth0: autonegotiation failed; using 10mbs
> eth0: MII detected; using 10mbs
> eth0: media 10BaseT, silicon revision
> 4
>
> Now, if I boot the same machine, running windoze, it will hook up at 100
> MBS, no problem. Nothing changes, (hardware, cable, switch setting,
> etc.) only the OS.
>
> Is there a way to set the interface hard, once linux has begun? (Kinda
> like the ndd command for sun?)

what you are looking for is

"ifport eth0 100baseT"

should sort you out.  I have the same problem with my xircom card :(
However thats all in the past with my new flashy Netgear card :) YAY!

Probably best to put this hardcoded into your /etc/pcmcia/network
settings.  Although not the best approach it will do :)

I hope this has answered you problems

end paste

Harry

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. 020 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk