[Gllug] nimda

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at online.no
Wed Sep 19 18:40:35 UTC 2001

* will <will at hellacool.co.uk> spake thus:
> 2632 unique hosts scanned for some variant of cmd.exe on one of our servers
> alone in the last half an hour.  This worm doesn't infect UNIX boxes but it
> certainly *affects* them.

Apparently, yes. Martin Krafft reported on the debian-user mailinglist
at about 23 last night:

    seamus.madduck.net (woody, 2.4.9) (dual 1.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 34Mbit
    connection) got a total of 9563776 (that's almost 10 mio.) attacks
    in the last 4 hours from almost 23000 different IPs, averaging at
    around 650/sec. peak is right now at 2800 attacks/sec, Snort logs
    growing at 90Mb/min. system load was 1.7 :-> and i shut down apache
    for the night, reducing the load to 0.13.

*shudder* I am glad I do not run any services when I hear such things.
I wonder whether it is this new worm's fault that fethcmail took so long
getting my mail?

Regards,
Stig

--