[Gllug] nimda

David Irvine co2cool at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 21 18:27:59 UTC 2001

will wrote:

 >2632 unique hosts scanned for some variant of cmd.exe on one of our
servers
 >alone in the last half an hour.  This worm doesn't infect UNIX boxes
but it
 >certainly *affects* them.
 >
 >Sometimes I really do wish someone would write a worm that would take out
 >the server completely (ie, wipe it). Mean?  possibly but then I think
 >putting an unpatched windows server on the internet so worms/s-kiddies can
 >use it to piss off all the other internet users is pretty mean and selfish
 >too.  There are entries appearing in logs caused by code red!
 >
 >Will.
 >
 >--
 >This email was created by evil gnomes who hate you. Get over it.

What pisses me off even more is the $Lusers who run iis on  their home
w2k box and don't bother to patch it, i got around 1200 hosts trying to
connect to my port80 of  my machine, on a dial up line mainly from
.hosts.bt.com.  What annoys me even more is that i can't prosecute any
of them, i really  wish i could take them to court over loss of
bandwidth, or even just lart them.  I  also get extremely annoyed at the
ISP's who do  nothing to counteract such viruses,  at least some block
  port 80 on  user boxes which is fine by me if their running w2k.  It
  annoys  me  even more when im using my webcam, script updates a web
page served by my local apache server, because i use the server to debug
  my current perl applications, what then happens is i can't see the
  bloody errors because code whatever is scrolling up my logs so  fast i
  cant read it.

Microsoft are doing nothing to stop these viruses,  every time they
create a 'fix' they create a thousand   more holes.

I'm off to sulk and write nasty  scripts to topple nimba  machines.

All your web page is  belong to me!!!!

David

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk