[Gllug] The Network is the Computer?

jackson harry postituk at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 13:55:08 UTC 2001

--- David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:
> >So why stop ay 100 Megabits? Put in ATM at 600+
> Megabits?
>
> Presumably that would not be worth the extra cost.

Why not invest in Lucents new gear (80 Channel 5Gb per
Channel ) and get yourself a 400Gb point to point and
if you really want we will lay you the fibre 144
Single Mode Per cable 4 Cables per run which should
give you 230 terabytes give or take a few 100Gb. I
will warn you now that it will be a bit more expensive
than ATM but highly worth it. Unreal tournament would
see marked improvement along with the usual browsing
unless of course the sites are badly written or have
any Java on them (That bits for you Dean). You would
also be able to run IIS server on it with no ill
affects and a 2000 server farm would be a treat to
manage because nobody can blame the network anymore so
they would have to throw machines at it.

These are of course out of date.
Theoretical Max of Single Mode is 25 tera bytes with
Colt laying fibre would give you about 14400 TeraBytes
which according to some very brainy guys in the states
is sufficient to run Microsoft Support/Complaints
Internet arm. This is not including the telephone
lines of course. We are all waitng on another ROSWELL
incident to take the next scientific leap to achieve
this.

HARRY
Bandwidth/Speed/Power and all things bigger than the
biggest things FREAK

http://im.yahoo.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk