[Gllug] Virgin ``Internet'' Cafes

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Sun Sep 9 13:06:40 UTC 2001

Hi,

I went in to the newish Virgin "internet cafe" over on TCR last week.

They are offering "unlimited internet access" for only £1 per hour as an
introductory rate. ``This is great'', I thought, so I had a look...

After logging in to the (yucky) W2K system with the smartcard provided,
I began the ritual of downloading putty and trying to connect to
offsite. Guess what? Yes, they do everything through proxies and do not
in actual fact offer real *INTERNET* access at all. They offer a subset
of the Internet in much the same way as some academic institutions and
other places now do too. This kind of FALSE ADVERTISING is very wrong.

I went and complained and kicked up a loud fuss for a couple of minutes
(and made sure everyone else heard what I was saying too) but I don't
feel I have got through to them - something further is required.

Anyone want to help explain to them why FALSE ADVERTISING is wrong?

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk