[Gllug] Hiring servers - uk2.net

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 12:36:48 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Brazier" <pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk>
To: "Gllug (E-mail)" <gllug at linux.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 1:06 PM
Subject: [Gllug] Hiring servers - uk2.net

>I've been looking at www.powerraq.com and it looks like you can hire a
>server + connection and rackspace for just 300 pounds a year.
>Is this too good to be true? - I don't really have the experience to see
>through the marketing hype.
>I think it's a fairly new thing.

>It seems that elsewhere is at least a grand per year.

It is UK2.net and IMO they are a bunch of cowboys.  It is interesting that
they started this promotion at the same time that they advertised that they
had moved all their shared hosting onto cobalt raq4 servers, indicating that
the raq 3 servers in this offer are (I would guess) ex-shared web hosting
servers.  Added to that, raq servers net being terribly good and the level
of support that UK2.net offer it doesn't seem too much to a good deal.  Try
and find out if there is a hardware guarantee, ie. if the server goes kput
after 1 week and you have paid the 1 year/6months up front that they need,
wether or not they will replace the server for you.  If you can get them on
the phone that is, which is unlikely.

Personally I wouldn't use a cobalt raq at all, let alone from UK2.net.

Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk