[Gllug] Hiring servers - uk2.net

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 26 16:37:50 UTC 2001

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 05:24:07PM +0100, Nick Hill wrote:
> I remember a thread a few months back on this...
>
> UK2.net charge a levy on bandwidth over a given limit. The chance of someone cracking the server and maxxing bandwidth (like putting up an FTP WAREZ site) can lead to a hefty liability.
>
> Worse case scenario:
> Suppose 45 days from the end of one billing period to seeing the bill from the beginning of the next..
>
> Assume max throughput 10Mbytes/sec full duplex = 20Mbyte/sec

Are you working on an assumed max of 80Mbit/sec (10MByte/sec) from a
100Mbit/sec NIC, or did you really mean a 10Mbit/sec NIC at full
utilisation?

Either way, I am doubting that either you or the colo ISP would fail
to notice an increase in utilisation of 10Mbit/sec or more,
constantly.  If you're paying for it you want to be keeping an eye
on it.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk