[Gllug] Hiring servers - uk2.net

Nick Hill nickhill at email.com
Thu Sep 27 19:18:21 UTC 2001

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 17:37:50 +0100
Andy Smith <andy at lug.org.uk> wrote:

> Are you working on an assumed max of 80Mbit/sec (10MByte/sec) from a
> 100Mbit/sec NIC, or did you really mean a 10Mbit/sec NIC at full
> utilisation?

The NIC on a RAQ3 is 100mbit/sec. Approx 10Mbyte/sec throughput. (on my local network, I  get 9.8Mbyte/sec (possibly constrained by hard drive. Tested with 128Mb file transfer) using Linux->windows I get a max of 3.3Mbyte/sec.. Win2K->Win98 1Mbyte/sec!)

> Either way, I am doubting that either you or the colo ISP would fail
> to notice an increase in utilisation of 10Mbit/sec or more,
> constantly.  If you're paying for it you want to be keeping an eye
> on it.
If you don't get an email telling you how much bandwidth you have used, and the compromise on your machine goes unnoticed...!

If the colo expects to get the money from you for the bandwidth used, there is little incentive for them to warn you.

Regards

Nick.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk