[Gllug] New Microsoft Licencing scheme

Timothy Coggins tc at sonicated.com
Tue Sep 18 13:15:37 UTC 2001

On Tue, 2001-09-18 at 13:42, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > If someone agrees to it then of course it is legal.
>
> A contract is not legal just because you agree to it.  That is a basic
> principle of contract law.  You can challenge an unjust contract even if
> you signed it.

Indeed, however in this case the user agrees that Microsoft can
"extinguish" the license as it pleases which looks to me to be perfectly
legal (IANAL). If the user doesn't agree to it then they do not use the
product (which is one of the reasons I use Microsoft products as little
as possible).

I can't see a case standing in court where Joe User says "I agreed with
Microsoft that they could extinguish the license at their will but now
they have I want to sue them". Can you?

--
Timothy Coggins
http://www.sonicated.com/