[Gllug] Star Office / Open Office killing X

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Sep 18 22:52:20 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 18 September 2001 21:50, you wrote:
> I have installed Red Hat 6.2, 7.0 and 7.1, including updated versions of
> XFree86.  Every time I launch the install of Star Office or Open Office
> Linux hangs.  I cannot even ssh in.
> Does anyone have any ideas as to where to look next.

UserSpaceLinux/vmWare?

Not kidding that much :(

If it's _really_ hanging the OS, then it sounds like something pretty freaky
is going on. I would suspect (firstly) a priority inversion in the scheduler,
or something similar. Run it nice, but to the lowest priority - see if that
makes a difference. Next I suppose is to make sure you're running the latest
-ac kernel - I wouldn't be surprised if the VM was locking, and the -ac
series are now supposed to be pretty good VM-wise.

Apart from that, who knows? It could be any number of things, because it
shouldn't hang Linux, and therefore if it is doing so it must be a bug of
sorts. That means it's probably futile to use logical deduction to surmise
where the bug lies - it could be anywhere ;(

I would have thought other people will see the same problem as you - have you
checked the mailing lists, etc?

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk