[Gllug] Reading from the hard disc

Andrew Richardson ahrichardson at clara.net
Mon Sep 24 17:56:06 UTC 2001

On Sunday 23 September 2001 17:51, you wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to write or find a small program that when run as root I can
> read directly from the hard disc, i.e the inodes and data. I'm what it to
> show during one of the classes I teach called MUOS. Multi User Op. Sys,
> basically we look at Linux and slag off M$. I've done packet sniffing with
> them. I wrote a simple c program which put the network into permisquouse
> mode then sucked up ever ethernet frame that came its way. I got the
> students to implement some simple filters and lookling inside the frames
> and workout what the payload is, all good clean fun.
>
> Any help on the hard disc reading would be greatfully received, I found
> like to be able to show the students file fragmentation etc.
>
> Thanks
>
> James

I know of a book entitled " Linux ! - I didn't know you could do that ! "
with an orange cover and a picture of a chimp on the front.  I think its
about £ 15.  It has details about several programs which might be of use to
you such as e2defrag and lde.
It comes with a CD containing most of them.

Andrew

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk