[Gllug] Hang on Boot

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 16 14:25:26 UTC 2001

Ade McGonigle wrote:

> I have Redhat 7.2 running on my thinkpad X20
> I set it up for DHCP, all working ok, not thinking about using it
> away from a network, now when I boot it if Im not connected it hangs
> when loading eth0, it just sits doing nothing, is there a way to force
> it to bypass this whilst booting into a non network environment

Is this a PCMCIA network card? If so, what happens if you remove it when
not networked? I would expect this to cause the module to fail to load
and then the activation of the interface to fail immediately.

Is RH still using pump for DHCP? If so the "retries" and "timeout"
configuration file options look useful. The man page doesn't say what
the defaults are, but when I had a RH6.2 DHCP client with a dodgy NIC,
it too hung up forever. Another possibility is to look into replacing
pump with the ISC's "dhclient" which in my experience is more flexible.
I havn't looked at it with this particular job in mind though.

Finally you could make eth0 ONBOOT=no but that would mean you would have
to activate it manually when networked, not very convenient.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk