[Gllug] Random password generation

David Irvine co2cool at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 18:14:53 UTC 2001

gllug at codex.net wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Gordon Joly wrote:
>
>>>FWIR of using crack, it doesnt just go thru a dictionary of words, it
>>>takes each word in turn and applies transpositions and substitutions.  so
>>>letters get moved arround, upper and lower casing is applied, aswell as
>>>swapping o's for 0's, i's for 1's etc etc.
>>>

>>I often wondered about that.
>>
>>So, I might use "g0rd0" and feel safe? No... not at all.
>>
>>Best suggestion is to form a sentence and "inherit" a password?
>>

>my favourite used to be, taking a normal word, and uuencoding it.  of
>course you cant easily remember the 'encoded' string, but derriving it is
>a doddle.

heh, why not rot13 it, in fact you could do it twice to make it super
1337 :p

And of course you make sure you have  a different password for lilo than
you have  for root, its amazing how many people who seem to be  fairly
competent believe that its perfectly fine to go round sticking the root
password unencrypted in world readable files.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk