[Gllug] DNS - identifying primary nameserver

Dave Turner gllug at figroll.com
Wed Apr 10 13:41:47 UTC 2002

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 02:29:15PM +0100, Jim Cheetham wrote:
> And if you're thinking of making changes to a zone, drop the TTL value
> to something less than a day, to help the changes propogate into the
> wider world ... 5 minutes isn't a bad number.

I've seen this advice a few times and just to make it clear in my mind
I'm going to have to ask a dumb question.

If I set the TTL to 5 minutes, how long before making the changes that
I want to propogate should I do this?  Presumably if my TTL is currently
3 days I should do this 3 days before making any zone changes so that
I can be sure all machines are working of a record with a TTL of 5 minutes.
Is that correct?

--
Dave Turner
http://figroll.com/