[Gllug] CD's and Computers

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Apr 10 15:46:50 UTC 2002

Interesting notes earlier about deliberately writing invalid CRC's on the discs.

I wonder if that invalidates whatever agreements the record companies made with
Philips in respect of the 'red book' (or whatever)  standard. I would assume
that the agreement to use the Philips patents (or have they expired?) included
an undertaking to stick to the standard, which would include the CRC usage.

Hopefully, if this sort of fiddling around becomes more prevalent, computer
CD drive manufacturers will simply incorporate the same logic as domestic
players (which from recollection goes something along the lines of 'if you
can't reconstruct the correct data from the interleaved reed-solomon code
then interpolate the data from the preceding/following data blocks').

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk