[Gllug] Grovernment offices forced to buy MS

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Fri Apr 26 00:55:14 UTC 2002

richard hillesley wrote:

>On Thursday 25 April 2002 16:10, you wrote:

>>>I see that I can't ping the www.govtalk.gov.uk site.
>>>It went 'off the air' right in front of my eyes.
>>>Shame on anyone DOSing it.
>>>
>>>I WAS going to flag up a snippet I was on there yesterday -
>>>about the Govt funding a study with the open source community,
>>>re. use of Linux browsers with their Gateway site.
>>>Anyone heard hide or hair of this one?
>>>

>>I wrote to John Bercow (Conservative MP) who is specifically looking for
>>sleaze and money wasted by this government.
>>

>I don't think that this is a party political issue - the problem is that
>politicians in general are not that aware of the technological issues -
>and think that Bill Gates is the man in the know ...
>
>Personally, i don't feel any great enthusiasm for any of them,
>but you would have to hurt me very badly to get me to vote for a
>tory - I fed a large part of this strory to the register,
>and I would hate to see it being used to promote the tories ...
>who frankly ....
>
>Have fun,
>Richard

I think that a very fair point.

While trying to remain apolitical i think that this government and the
previous always provided 'Jobs for
the boys'.  I may notice it more now because Bill Gates happens to be
one of the current government's
'boys'

I would rather see an open tender with some fair play.

I am happy to instigate some political warfare on the topic (not on list
- in the house) to try to prevent these
being handed to M$ and for the market to be opened to all.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk