[Gllug] Grovernment offices forced to buy MS

Mark O. Stitson mark at yospace.com
Fri Apr 26 09:27:40 UTC 2002

Just think about the German federal government which has just decided to
convert nearly all their servers to Linux, despite recommendations by a
consultancy to go partly with Linux and partly with Windows 2000 Servers.

The politicians decided they were not going to be dictated to by one
large corporation.

Mark

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Xander D Harkness wrote:

> richard hillesley wrote:

> >>I wrote to John Bercow (Conservative MP) who is specifically looking for
> >>sleaze and money wasted by this government.
> >>

> >I don't think that this is a party political issue - the problem is that
> >politicians in general are not that aware of the technological issues -
> >and think that Bill Gates is the man in the know ...
> >
> >Personally, i don't feel any great enthusiasm for any of them,
> >but you would have to hurt me very badly to get me to vote for a
> >tory - I fed a large part of this strory to the register,
> >and I would hate to see it being used to promote the tories ...
> >who frankly ....
> >
> >Have fun,
> >Richard
> >

> I think that a very fair point.
>
> While trying to remain apolitical i think that this government and the
> previous always provided 'Jobs for
> the boys'.  I may notice it more now because Bill Gates happens to be
> one of the current government's
> 'boys'
>
> I would rather see an open tender with some fair play.
>
> I am happy to instigate some political warfare on the topic (not on list
> - in the house) to try to prevent these
> being handed to M$ and for the market to be opened to all.
>
> Kind regards
> Xander
>

> --

Dr Mark O. Stitson, Senior Systems Programmer
Yospace: Creating Value for Wireless
7 The Courtyard, High Street, Staines, UK, TW18 4DR
Tel: +44 1784 466388
Fax: +44 1784 466387
http://www.yospace.com

Any unauthorised dissemination or copying of this email or its attachments,
and any use or disclosure of any information contained in them, is strictly
prohibited and may be illegal. If you have received the email in error
please notify contracts at yospace.com and delete it from your system.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk