[Gllug] European Health Systems

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 18 18:28:37 UTC 2002

On Thu 18 Apr, Mark Preston wrote:

> Chris Bell wrote:-
> "Hello,
>    There has been a lot of party-political comparison between the British
> and other European health systems. I understand that there is a complete
> Open Source health records system available, and wondered how many other
> health systems have to survive with M$. The difference between an expensive
> system which is unreliable, and a free system which is (hopefully) stable,
> could multiply the amount of money available for the real medical
> facilities."
>
> I couldn't agree more with the sentiments you express Chris. However I am not
> aware of any complete Open Source health records system. Are you not
> confusing the GEHR (Good European Health Record) which began in Europe about
> 10 years ago and has since become known as the Good Electronic Health Record?
> See http://www.gehr.org/Documents/Brief_guide_to_gehr.htm
> This is very much work in progress.
>
> I have a site with a number of worldwide open source heathcare links to
> projects which may eventually replace the proprietary systems in use at
> present. But they are all very much in their infancy IMHO.
> See http://www.gnusense.uklinux.net
>
> See also http://bmj.com/cgi/eletters/321/7267/976
>
> for a number of letters discussing the present (in my view unacceptable)
> situation.
>
> Regards from Mark Preston

   There was some talk about it a year or two ago, and I think it was
somewhere in central America, possibly Mexico. However I can't picture many
of the medical authorities in the EEC happily using M$. There was also some
talk more recently about the EEC preparing to take action against M$
monopoly.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk