[Gllug] compiling 2.5 kernels

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Thu Apr 18 12:50:16 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-04-18 at 13:16, Stephen Harker wrote:

> OK so make menuconfig works.
> To make things a bit quicker, I loaded the config file for my current
> 2.4.18-mdk Mandrake kernel from /boot/config and poked around in that
> and tweaked a few options. It now is in make bzImage and ...
> Bollocks! It now gave me an...
>
> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.5.8/include -Wall
> [root at abe linux]#
>
> So maybe I shouldn't use a config file from 2.4.18! It's possible that
> Mandrake has extra patches and associated config options that aren't in
> the 2.5.8 source. I'll try again with a start-from-scratch config file.
> Back to grindstone
> Steve

I downloaded 2.4.8, and changed only CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT34X=y,
and I get the same thing.

Hey, this kernel compiling thign sure beats work (ahem).
And sure enough, comparing the 2.5 and 2.4 ide_build_dmatable

int ide_build_dmatable(ide_drive_t *drive, struct request *rq,
                       ide_dma_action_t func)

int ide_build_dmatable (ide_drive_t *drive, ide_dma_action_t func)

Guess I should motivate myself to apply the patch suggested by Dave.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk