[Gllug] IPchains firewalling problem.

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Mon Apr 29 09:14:33 UTC 2002

Hi,

I have a box with ipchains installed (it seems):

  [10:00am]# whereis ipchains
ipchains: /sbin/ipchains /usr/man/man8/ipchains.8.gz

but running a command gives an error:

  [10:02am]# ipchains -A INPUT -s xx.yy.0.0/16 -j DROP
ipchains: Protocol not available

I have tried insmod:

  [10:05am]# insmod ipchains
insmod: ipchains: no module by that name found

and modprobe:

  [10:05am]# modprobe
modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.9/modules.dep
(No such file or directory)

but get errors.  The whereis seems to indicate that ipchains is there,
bt what is the problem and how can I fix it.  I have googled for the
Protocol not available error but have not found anything that I really
understand.  Any ideas?

Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk