[Gllug] compiling 2.5 kernels

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Thu Apr 18 12:47:49 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-04-18 at 13:16, John Hearns wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-04-18 at 13:16, Stephen Harker wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 18:57, Dave Jones wrote:
> > > On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 06:31:40PM +0100, Stephen Harker wrote:

> Perhaps an idiot question,
> but what version of gcc is reccommended for compiling
> the 2.5 series kernels?
>
> Are there any massive (or small) bugs turned up by
> changing to gcc3??
Dunno. I just sort of waded in there with gcc-3.04 and hoped for the
best. I have a compiled kernel but it craps out compiling various
modules (ATA-Raid, I20, other EXPERIMENTAL stuff) which I gradually
remove from the options and try again. On about the 6th go now and it
seems to be getting much further than last time. Thank God I'm doing
this on a fast machine (about 3 minutes for a make dep && make bzImage)
Steve
PS. It just stopped on Western Digital Network driver module so *SNIP*.
Attempt No. 7...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk