[Gllug] Authnetication funny

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Apr 4 15:45:47 UTC 2002

At least that is what I think the problem is.

My kids are trying to access their school email account which is at
	www.thegrid.net.uk
To send mail to their accounts means connecting to
	yankee.thegrid.org.uk

I have a ADSL line (RedHat 7.2, 2.4.18 kernel) which NATs some machines behind it.
They can access the web site by using a browser on a NATed machine, but not the
ADSL/firewall/smtp/... box itself. Mail is stuck in the outgoing queue (on the firewall).

If I use telnet to connect (avoiding any misconfigured browser/...) ie:
	telnet www.thegrid.org.uk. www
I see:
	tcp        0      1 freshmint.phcomp.:35156 charlie.thegrid.or:http SYN_SENT    6975/telnet
and it stays there till it times out. So the connect is not succeeding.
The same thing happens with smtp.

(freshmint.phcomp.co.uk is my firewall box, charlie.thegrid.org.uk is the real name of www.thegrid.org.uk).

I have tried taking the firewall down (for a bit), but no improvement.

What really confuses me is that if I do this from a machine *behind* the firewall it works,
so it can't be DNS, routing, ...

Can someone please give me some clues as to what I have screwed up.

Thanks

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>